• Review “Genitourinary Disorders” in the Burns et al. text.
• Review and select one of the three provided case studies. Analyze the patient information.
• Consider a differential diagnosis for the patient in the case study you selected. Think about the most likely diagnosis for the patient.
• Think about a treatment and management plan for the patient. Be sure to consider appropriate dosages for any recommended pharmacologic and/or non-pharmacologic treatments.
• Consider strategies for educating patients and families on the treatment and management of the genitourinary disorder.
By Day 3
Post an analysis of your assigned case by responding to the following:
• What additional questions will you ask?
o Has the case addressed the LOCATES mnemonic? If not, what else do you need to ask? What additional history will you need? (Think FMH, allergies, meds and so forth, that might be pertinent in arriving to your differential diagnoses).
• What additional examinations or diagnostic tests, if any will you conduct?
• What are your differential diagnoses? What historical and physical exam features support your rationales? Provide at least 3 differentials.
• What is your most likely diagnosis and why?
• How will you treat this child?
o Provide medication treatment and symptomatic care.
o Provide correct medication dosage. Use the knowledge you learned from this week’s and previous weeks’ readings as well as what you have learned from pharmacology to help you with this area.
• Patient Education, Health Promotion & Anticipatory guidance:
o Explain strategies for educating parents on their child’s disorder and reducing any concerns/fears presented in the case study.
o Include any socio-cultural barriers that might impact the treatment and management plans.
o Health Promotion:
• What immunizations should this child have had?
• Based on the child’s age, when is the next well visit?
• At the next well visit, what are the next set of immunizations?
• What additional anticipatory guidance should be provided today?
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days in both of the ways listed below. Respond to colleagues who selected different case studies than you did.
• Describe how culture might impact the diagnosis, management, and follow-up care of patients with the genitourinary disorders your colleagues discussed.
• Based on your personal and/or professional experiences, expand on your colleagues’ postings by providing additional insights or different perspectives.
Note: For this Discussion, you are required to complete your initial post before you will be able to view and respond to your colleagues’ postings. Begin by clicking on the “Post to Discussion Question” link and then select “Create Thread” to complete your initial post. Remember, once you click on Submit, you cannot delete or edit your own posts, and you cannot post anonymously. Please check your post carefully before clicking on Submit!