Contemporary issues in Supporting carers and families in Nursing
Rationale for assessment
The structure and implementation of services plays a significant role in the way nursing care is delivered to and perceived by those who access it. This can in some instances present challenges and obstacles for the nurses and service users involved. Understanding how service provision is designed from the top down, and in what way societal and political drivers shape it can be key in helping nurses tackle these challenges.
1. You will need to explore the current service provision in relation to your contemporary issue, how does this link to drivers.
2. Explore the political and societal drivers that influence service delivery in relation to your contemporary issue
3. Consider how the above may be influenced by individual need. You must ensure you maintain confidentiality throughout the assignment. Please use aerial font size 12 and double space your writing. References APA 6th (Harvard) referencing must be utilised for your references as per University of Salford guidance http://www.salford.ac.uk/skills-for-learning/home/using-and-referencing-information/referencing
Assessed intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this assessment, you will be able to:
Knowledge and Understanding
1. Discuss some of the contemporary political and societal drivers informing nursing practice.
2. Investigate and explore how healthcare providers respond to contemporary external drivers.
3. Evaluate the extent to which the organisation and delivery of a specific aspect of nursing care
impacts on the health and well-being of individuals.
Transferable Skills and other Attributes
1. Use decision making skills to choose focus areas of study.
2. Discuss key concepts inherent within chosen areas of interest with others.
3. Utilise information technology and search skills in gathering relevant literature.
4. Consider own employability skills and knowledge for entering specific areas of professional
To enable the student to discuss contemporary political, practice and societal issues informing nursing
To enable the student to investigate and explore chosen areas of interest in order to inform nursing
practice and career aspirations.
To enable the student to reflect upon how contemporary issues in nursing are addressed in
APA 6th (Harvard) referencing
Focus on the carers strategy, the drivers the models of caring.
Could structure as follows : intro to the essay, discuss the carers strategy and how it came about include evidence(Department of Health)
Societal drivers like increased population and more prevalence of LTCs, how this means more people care and how this drives the carers strategy and need for NHS to respond better to support carers
Then choose 2-3 priorities from the carers strategy, each priority using a different example so like recognizing carers of Mental Health service users, rise of mental health issues = societal driver, mental health act and Carers Strategy are political drivers affecting that service provision
Then supporting carers to stay physically and mentally well, with an example of caring for an older population/dementia = psychological needs increase, more prevalence of injury to backs etc and missing appointments all using evidence,
Then individual need talk about holistic care, Carers Passports, Carers Strategies, and some models of health for carers as patients like salutogenesis and determinants of health etc
Type of service-Academic paper writing
Type of assignment-Essay
Pages / words-6 / 1650
Number of sources-20
Language style-UK English