Cultural Perspectives of Aging paper worth 25% of Course Grade
The purpose of this scholarly assignment is for you to gain new or different perspectives of aging by observing aging through a cultural lens. You are encouraged to step away from how you currently think about aging, and instead explore and reflect upon the perspectives of an aging person within their culture. In the context of this paper the aging population is anyone 65 years of age or older.
You may choose to consider observations of one or more older persons in your own culture or the experiences you have/have had with older persons in another community culture. (An example might be if you work in a long-term care setting that is mostly Jewish, when you are from a South Asian culture.)
Based on these observations and experiences answer the questions and/or provide information:
- Briefly describe your experience with an older person or group of older persons with reference to the cultural community in which they live. (1-2 paragraph)
- How does the person experience life within their culture? Provide some examples (2-3 paragraphs)
- What characteristics does this person(s) possess that might contribute to healthy aging? (1-2 paragraphs)
- What resources are in this cultural community that contribute to healthy aging? (2-3 paragraphs)
- Select one theory or concept from class that fits your observations/experiences and demonstrate how it fits with this paper. Include what may be missing in this theory/concept or does not fit your observation/experiences. (1-2 pages)
- From a nursing perspective, what did you learn from writing this paper that enhanced your understanding of health and aging with respect to culture? (2 paragraphs)
NOTE: refer to chapter 4 in the text for a background of culture and aging. PLEASE USE THIS BOOK: Touhy, T. A., & Jett, K. F., Boscart, V., &McLearly, L. (2019). Ebersole and Hess’ gerontological nursing and healthy aging 2nd Canadian ed.). Toronto, ON: Elsevier Canada.
NOTE: Remember that sometimes an immigrant community will express culture differently than how it is expressed in their home country. Make a note if this is the case.
Additional criteria for this paper:
- Typed following APA 6th ed. guidelines for writing and format (double spaced, 1” or 2.5cm margins on all sides of the page, font – Times Roman 12, appropriate citations and referencing).
- This is a scholarly paper, so provide a formal introduction and conclusion.
- Remember that you must provide credit for ideas you read using appropriate quotations and/or citations; to do otherwise is plagiarism. You are expected to cite at least FOUR referencesin this paper; all may be from readings from class.
- Submit between 6 pages typed excluding title page, references, and appendix if relevant (can be shorter). Length of sections noted provides a guideline.
Criteria for Grading:
- Demonstrate critical self-reflection and analysis
- Logical flow of ideas
- Rubric will be provided on Moodle course site.
Type of service-Academic paper writing
Type of assignment-Research Paper
Pages / words-6 / 1650
Number of sources-4