The unit aims to enable you to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of management and business as well as the skills essential to effective operation in a corporate, business, public sector or not for profit environment. It is a unit specifically designed to help your transition into the professional work environment through the integration of theory and practice supported by contemporary research evidence.
This unit provides the opportunity for you to investigate an area of interest drawing on the MBA toolkit developed through taught units and will support the development of lifelong learning through an Evidence-based management approach where analysis, evaluation and decision making are supported by research evidence from quality academic and practitioner sources.
The emphasis is on your independent learning through the application of management education to management practice to inform and enhance problem solving and decision making and to improve organisational effectiveness and performance
You will develop an appreciation of the range of data sources and their collection and analysis in order to help you more critically assess a contemporary problem and solve a business issue.
This would normally require the collection of secondary data from quality academic and practitioner sources. Where relevant, it might be possible for students to collect primary data. However, please remember time is tight and, unless you have experience of data collection and analysis, this is discouraged. You will be expected to comply with the University ethics process including seeking approval where required.
The TIP Project enables you to consider a business problem, how this is framed and what solution you can present based on your appreciation of critical enquiry. The assessment requires you to consider in depth one aspect of the implementation of decisions. You will select your own topic, subject to approval by your tutor.
The first assessment requires you to present a poster in which you define the problem, outline the methodological approach and demonstrate how the contribution will move the organisation forward. You will need to provide an indication of the theories you will use to inform your investigation, using a range of good quality and appropriate data sources. Following formative panel feedback on your defined problem as outlined in a 5 minute overview (in week 3 of the unit), (week 6 Part time) you deliver a poster presentation supported by a document in a format that can be accepted by Turnitin in Week 6 of the block (Week 12 Part-time). (20% Weighting)
Planning your project is essential to successful completion.
For Assignment 1 you will need to develop the plan for your project and present this orally and as a written Introduction (1000 – 1200 words excluding references) that clearly outlines the research project plan.
You will need to deliver a short Poster Presentation (5 minutes) on your TIP Project plan to communicate:
• Potential for insightful outcomes
• Scope, aim and objectives
• Application of theory to practice
• Method of Analysis
You are permitted 1 single PowerPoint slide. See Breo for guidance on how to prepare a poster.
A second PowerPoint slide should include the full bibliographic details of sources in Harvard format
A random sample of students will be called to attend a viva voce to check the authenticity of their work
What do I need to do to pass? (Threshold Expectations from UIF)
In order to pass Assessment 1 you will need to:
• Justify a choice of project and appraise its feasibility.
• Formulate a plan for a major project by developing aims and objectives and designing an outline method of analysis.
• Determine theories that may be appropriate for the project.
How do I produce high quality work that merits a good grade?
We will be filling this section in together in class on(tba)make sure you have downloaded/printed out the Assignment Brief and bring it to the session with you.
Here are some of the requirements we will be discussing in the group briefings:
• Does your choice of topic provide potential for unique insightful outcomes?
• Is your aim clear – stated concisely in a short sentence
• You need to widely extend your reading through independent research using quality academic and practitioner sources
• What is your proposed method of analysis?
• Is evidence available?
• You will apply theory in practice for critical, in-depth analysis in the context of the chosen research topic
• You must use in-text citations throughout to acknowledge others’ ideas in support of your critical analysis
• You must use the Harvard style of referencing.
How does this assignment relate to what we are doing in scheduled sessions?
All students are expected to attend scheduled Advancing Professional Practice workshops between blocks to develop their personal, professional and academic skills in preparation for the final projects and their first post-MBA position.
This is an independent project and you are supported through scheduled classes for group briefings and a panel review of your Poster Presentation.
You will have 2 group briefings at the start of the unit leading up to the Poster Presentation. In these sessions you will be encouraged to plan your Theory into Practice Project.
Assignment 1 General Guidelines
1. Choose a topic which is concerned with the contemporary application of theory into practice.
2. You have a lot of freedom in choosing atopicThis will be discussed in the group briefings.
3. Interpret this as meaning that the topic should investigate the practical issues involved in making decisions, solving organisational problems or exploring opportunities, achieving change or managing the implementation of strategy.This will integrate different areas of the MBA including your pathway specialism, if applicable.
4. You must start off with a clear rationale, scope, aim and careful, well–defined objectives
5. You must include directly relevant theory to inform the research
6. You must consider the method of analysis (not methodology) and availability of evidence (data) to meet the aim and objectives
7. You will need to demonstrate the relevance and feasibility of your project
8. Referencing must be complete and in the Harvard format.
You will be allocated a Supervisor for guidance and supervision is through the Online Journal on Breo which is private and can only be viewed by you and your supervisor.