The module is assessed using coursework (100% weighting) only. There are two pieces of summative assessment, these are as follows:
1. Qualitative Report: Assesses learning outcomes 1 and 2 (100% weighting)
Students will select one qualitative methodology and associated area of individual differences from those introduced in the module, analyse the data provided and produce a written report in a standard format. The word limit 3000 words (plus or minus 10%).
Content of Coursework
You are required to write up a qualitative research study using one of the methodologies and associated topic areas below. These are methodologies and associated areas that you will cover in the module:
Methodology and associated topic areas:
1. Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis: Health
2. Discursive Psychology: Emotion
3. Foucauldian Discourse Analysis: Gender
The work for the qualitative report will entail:
- Selecting one qualitative methodology and associated area of individual differences from those introduced in the module.
- Conducting an initial search of the literature in the chosen area of individual differences to inform the development of a research question/aim.
- Analysing the data provided using the selected methodology.
- Writing a report consisting of the following:
- Informative title
- Structured abstract
- Focused introduction outlining research in the area of individual differences you have chosen to focus on and a clear rationale for the study informed by previous research. A clearly stated and appropriately worded research question.
- Methods section outlining your design, participants/data set, procedure, ethical considerations and data analysis (including philosophical underpinning)
- Analysis section to include all data analysis including links back to the literature
- Brief conclusion summarising the analysis and discussing the literature from the introduction in the light of the analysis
- Reference list (not included in the word count): Give full details for all references you mention in your text. Make sure you check the Guidelines on Referencing in the student course handbook (based on APA guidelines), available on the Current Students homepage.
Your report should be 3000 words (the university permits up to 10% above this limit. Anything in addition to this will not be marked) in length, excluding title, abstract and references. Please note that the data extracts (quotes used in the analysis) count towards the word limit.
Willig, C. (2013). Introducing qualitative research in psychology (3rd ed.). Open University Press.
Type of service-Academic paper writing
Type of assignment-Research Paper
Pages / words-11 / 3000
Number of sources-20
Language style-UK English