Religious freedom is listed as part of the First Amendment. In the case of Employment Division v. Smith, two men were fired from an addiction recovery center after ingesting peyote, which was part of their Native American religious beliefs. You can read about the case here. https://www.oyez.org/cases/1987/86-946
Write a 2-page paper about your position on religious freedoms when they come into conflict with federal, state, or local laws and/or employment agreements. Should religious beliefs trump the law? Should they trump an employment agreement?
Items to be included in your position paper:
1. An introduction that explains why the issue is important and your position.
2. Using evidence (facts from news articles, interest groups, etc.) provide 2 supporting arguments that support your position.
3. Using evidence (facts from news articles, interest groups, etc.) provide 2 opposing arguments that go against your position.
4. A conclusion that restates your position and provides a plan of action on how you could advocate for your position.
5. Cite all information used
*** This is not an opinion essay. It is a position paper. You must include evidence to support your position. For full points, you must include at least two pieces of evidence to support the position and two pieces of evidence to show (and refute) the other side of the argument. This means that you should have at least four references in your works cited page.
Avoid using first-person pronouns (I, me, we, our, my, etc.) Avoid using rhetorical questions. Avoid using cliches and wordiness. The goal of writing to present your ideas in a clear and concise way. ***
Type of service-Academic paper writing
Type of assignment-Essay
Pages / words-2 / 550
Number of sources-4
Academic level-Sophomore (College 2nd year)
Language style-US English